Yadkin View RCC – Lumberton House Rebuild
Lumberton was devastated in 2016 with flooding from Hurricane Matthew and now Florence has only compounded their miseries. Moravians have been partnering with North Carolina United Methodist Disaster Response since Hurricane Matthew and we are happy to be continuing our partnership. The Yadkin View Conference of Churches will be working together to rebuild a home in Lumberton this spring.
Project Update: May 20, 2019
- City of Lumberton has demolished house and removed the debris.
- Two trees that were on property and could have had a long term impact on house have been taken down.
- Trunk/limbs will have to be cut up and removed from property at some point.
- Either by work teams or locals for the wood.
- Over the next 3 weeks, local team will:
- Dig and pour footings
- Pour 6 feet high concrete foundation wall.
- Due to new local building regulations concerning flooding, the house will need to have a 6 feet high foundation wall.
Yadkin View RCC Work Teams:
- After footings and foundation wall are poured, work teams will begin working on framing with the goal of having the house under roof by the 2nd week of July.
- Two work Saturdays are planned. These will be one day trips.
- Dates: June 8th and 15
- Leave at 5:00 am. Work on house during day. Return late afternoon. (About a 3 hour one way trip)
- Work To Be Done:
- Framing/General Carpentry
- Also need general helpers to wok with more experienced carpenters.
- Need to get number of workers who are interested to Kenneth Lankford so he can plan work with local team.
- While some tools are on site, work teams are encouraged to bring their own tools to perform the work scheduled for workdays.
- Plans are for the work teams to take food with them on these days. If you are interested in helping the RCC with preparing food for the teams, please fill out a form or email as well.
- If interested in going or helping with food, please fill out form in bulletin and turn into church office or send you name/email address to Kenneth Lankford (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Smitty Welborn (email@example.com). Note: I would like your contact information so I can keep everyone informed if I get work related information sent to me.
Schedule (More Details Will Be Provided As They Are Finalized):
- 5/18 – 5/19:
- 5-19 – 6/7:
- Pour footings
- Pour/build foundation walls
- 6/8 – 2nd Week of July:
- Beginning 2nd Week of July:
- Exterior doors and windows
- Ruff in electrical
- Ruff in plumbing
- These three tasks can be done at the same time.
Local Team on Site:
- Local project manager will provide materials needed.
- Local project manager will have people working at site during the week.
- For those who prefer to work during the week, the local project manager can be contacted to coordinate work team support on these days.
- Summary will be updated with local project manager’s contact information.
- Financial contributions are needed to support the rebuild of this home:
- Contributions can be made directly:
- Checks should be made out to NCCUMC and with a memo to “Moravian House Adoption”
- Mailed to: NCCUMC | PO Box 3601 | Lumberton, N.C. 28358
The Yadkin View Regional Conference of Churches: Clemmons Moravian Church, Macedonia Moravian Church, New Hope Moravian Church, New Philadelphia Moravian Church, and Unity Moravian Church.